Monday, November 19, 2012

Thank You, Julie


The morning after the events in my last blog, I was so exhausted, I wrote in my diary I was surprised when I woke up alive. My step-dad, Ralph Prefontaine, came to Hollywood and took me back to West Covina for the Thanksgiving holidays.

During this time, my thoughts turned to the good things in my life, the things I had to be grateful for, and many of them were a result of being around Julie Andrews. On November 19th I wrote:

Being around Julie is doing marvelous things for me. I walk down the street looking up, rather than down as I used to do. I don’t spend so much time in day dreams either. I feel more confident in myself, for who I am.

I relate to Julie in the way that she is very dignified, proper and polite, but she also has a child underneath that likes to play, laugh and be silly. She is serious, and they say she is very sensitive. I like her laugh. Sometimes she laughs in a very low, bawdy way. It’s funny.

My teachers have said that my sense of drama and how I portray things is improving. In the last month I have come to one realization. I always thought that I had to be naturally talented or nothing at all. Watching Julie, I have come to realize that even with talent and experience one must work very hard. She works very hard on her voice. She is always warming up and doing scales. In the New Year, I am going to find a vocal coach. I always thought that I should be able to sing wonderfully without training, but seeing how hard Julie works to take care of what she has, I now know what I must do. Oh, thank you, Julie!

****

November 20th – I bought some Binaca. It’s from Switzerland. Julie sang beautifully after using it, but I lost my voice!

Today I made up the time in costuming class that I missed while attending The Julie Andrews Hour taping. I worked from 6:30 until after 9:00pm.  Then my teacher, Mr. Ryan, drove me back to my dormitory.

November 21st – I worked six hours straight today on costuming. Then, I left to go to Hollywood for the Santa Claus Lane Parade. My mother and I have been watching it on television for years!  I saw George Jessel, Jane Withers and the General Hospital cast, who got a big laugh. After a while, I walked down towards the end of the parade and saw an army truck with the guys from MASH.

(Gary Burghoff, who played Radar on MASH, rented a house on my grandmother’s property in Malibu. We saw him often, especially since his pet raccoon was always escaping its cage. The summer before my grandmother passed away, she invited Gary to dinner and the three of us sat out on the porch, watching the sun set on the ocean as we ate. Gary told us about his early acting training in New York that night. Although my  grandmother had passed away the previous December,Gary was still living in the house.)

When I saw the guys from MASH, I ran out into the street calling, “Gary, Gary Burghoff!” One of the guys said, “If you want to talk to anyone on the truck, you better jump on,” so I did. Gary was surprised to see me. “What are you doing in this part of town?” he asked. I had to explain I was "living in Hollywood,” but the noise of the parade was so intense, we couldn’t talk. Gary told me to say ‘hello’ to "the folks” and I jumped down, but it had been pretty exciting to ride down Hollywood Boulevard with the guys from MASH!

November 23rd – Thanksgiving

Despite the holiday, there was no break the day after Thanksgiving for the cast and crew of The Julie Andrews Hour. Even though I had no classes that day, I left West Covina early and headed to the studio.

Coming Next: November 22nd – The Julie Andrews Hour Tribute to Walt Disney

You can always find direct links to the subjects of this blog by visitinghttp://www.JulieAndrewsHour1972.com

1 comment:

  1. Today I was given a new insight into what I wrote above. Surprisingly, it was at a religious retreat where Mssgr. John Essef gave us handouts which included a quote by Nelson Mandella. One quote really spoke to me about what happened to me being around Julie. "We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in EVERYONE. As we let our own light shine we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same." This quote comes from Nelson Mandella's 1994 Inaugural Speech.

    ReplyDelete